Create a Jewish Legacy is a flagship initiative of the Federation and Foundation designed to build permanent resources for the benefit of the entire community.
Legacy gifts — after-lifetime gifts made from one’s will, trust, retirement account, or life insurance policy — are an ideal means of creating significant endowment funds. But most local Jewish organizations have not taken on the task of asking their most loyal donors to consider them.
Create a Jewish Legacy is providing nineteen East Bay Jewish organizations with the training, motivation and support to cultivate legacy gifts from their donors. These gifts will become endowment funds, helping the organizations to sustain their programs and operations for generations to come.
As a result of Create a Jewish Legacy, an estimated $42 million in legacy gift commitments have been secured from over 800 families.
Create a Jewish Legacy sponsors a community-wide East Bay Jewish Legacy Society honoring legacy donors to all of the member organizations. Legacy Society members are invited to write a page in a Book of Life containing the personal thoughts, life experiences or philanthropic vision that inspired their gifts.
This initiative is provided in partnership with the Harold Grinspoon Foundation.
- UC Berkeley Hillel
- Chabad of Contra Costa
- Congregation Beth El (Berkeley)
- Congregation Beth Emek (Pleasanton)
- Congregation Beth Israel (Berkeley)
- Congregation B’nai Tikvah (Walnut Creek)
- Congregation B’nai Torah (Brentwood)
- Contra Costa Jewish Community Center
- Contra Costa Jewish Day School
- JCC East Bay
- Jewish Family & Children’s Services of the East Bay
- Jewish Federation and The Jewish Community Foundation of the East Bay
- Kehilla Community Synagogue (Oakland)
- Lehrhaus Judaica
- Oakland Hebrew Day School
- Temple Beth Torah (Fremont)
- Temple Isaiah (Lafayette)
- Temple Israel (Alameda)
- Temple Sinai (Oakland)