WHO WE SUPPORT
Jewish Overnight Camp Financial Assistance
The Jewish Federation and The Jewish Community Foundation of the East Bay provide needs-based financial assistance for Jewish children from the East Bay (Alameda, Contra Costa, Solano and Napa Counties) to attend any Jewish overnight summer camp in the United States or Canada. All overnight camp financial awards are intended to provide “last resort” community resources above and beyond what is contributed by families and individual camps.
Financial Award Eligibility
- Families with children between the ages of 6 and 18 (by June 1, 2014) are eligible for financial assistance to attend a qualifying Jewish overnight camp in the U.S. or Canada.
- Applicants must reside in the East Bay (Alameda, Contra Costa, Solano & Napa Counties).
- Financial assistance must be “last resort” funds, supplementing financial assistance provided by the camp, family and all other possible sources, for families who would otherwise not be able to attend.
- Families may apply for overnight camp financial assistance for one or more children, for up to four weeks for each child.
- Children must be Jewish (as identified by their families).
- Families must contribute a minimum of 10% of the total program cost.
- Financial awards may only be used strictly for camp tuition and camp-provided bus transportation to and from camp.
How to apply
For families whose children are attending URJ Camp Newman or Camp Tawonga, please contact the camps directly to apply:
URJ Camp Newman
For families whose children are attending East Bay Jewish day camps, please contact the camp directly for financial assistance.
For families whose children are attending any other Jewish overnight camp in the United States or Canada,
click here for an online application.
Deadline to apply for other overnight camp scholarships is March 27, 2015.
In addition to the two Jewish residential camps that serve the Bay Area, any accredited Jewish overnight camp in the U.S. or Canada is eligible for financial assistance. For a list of Jewish overnight camps in the U.S. and Canada, visit jewishcamp.org.
Financial Award Process
Camps Newman and Tawonga receive block grants, or large dollar amounts, from which to award scholarships based on financial need. Applications are reviewed confidentially and awards determined by each camp’s financial aid committee. Applicants will be notified about award decisions directly by the camp.
For other overnight camps, applications are reviewed without any identifying information (anonymously) by a committee, which will determine awards based on financial need. Applicants will be notified by mid-April. Award checks will be sent directly to the camp.
For More Information:
- Regarding East Bay Federation financial assistance for overnight camps, contact Dana Sheanin, Director of Community Impact, at email@example.com or call 510.809.4934.
- Regarding scholarships for Camps Tawonga or Newman, please contact the camps directly.
- Regarding financial assistance for overnight camps for residents of San Francisco, Sonoma or Marin Counties, or the Peninsula from Sunnyvale north, please contact the San Francisco Jewish Community Federation’s Scholarship at Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.